Opened in 1936 to commemorate the fourth centenary of the first foundation of Buenos Aires, it is the work of architect Alberto Prebisch, one of the leading exponents of Argentine modernism. It is located in the place where it was first hoisted the national flag in the city. Those visiting Buenos Aires can not fail to photograph this monument, strategically located at the intersection of two of the most important avenues: 9 de Julio, among the widest in the world, and the "street" Corrientes, one of the main cultural centers from the city.
With an overall height of 67.5 meters and a base of 6.8 meters per side, the obelisk has a single entrance (facing Corrientes Avenue westbound), behind which there is a staircase of 206 steps seafaring 7 breaks leading to the top. There exists a gazebo with four windows, visible from the street. And above it, the emblem of Buenos Aires monument culminates into a lightning rod that fails glimpsed with the naked eye. Currently it prohibited from entering.
The Colon Theatre in Buenos Aires is one of the most important opera halls in the world. Its rich and prestigious history and outstanding acoustic and architectural conditions of the building placed at the level of theaters including La Scala in Milan, the Paris Opera, the Vienna State Opera, Covent Garden in London and the Metropolitan in New York.
Its construction, which lasted nearly 20 years, is the work of architects Francesco Tamburini, Victor Meano and Jules Dormal. The central hall, horseshoe shaped, is considered one of the best acoustics in the world. Its dome, which was decorated by Argentine painter Raul Soldi.
The Plaza de Mayo is the oldest in Buenos Aires and stage of all major political events in Argentina's history, except for the Declaration of Independence.
His name is in honor of the Revolution of May 25, 1810, it happened in this square and began the epic of Argentina Independence, from which it began to choose a form of self government. It is also the place where it was founded for the second time the City, June 11, 1580 by Juan de Garay, with the name City of the Holy Trinity and Puerto de Santa María del Buen Ayre. Around this square was the primitive village grow until it became the political center of the country. The Cabildo, the Metropolitan Cathedral (where the Pope celebrated Mass Francisco for more than 20 years), the Government House (aka Casa Rosada, seat of the national government and where: Bordering the historic Plaza de Mayo and several government buildings are located is the famous balcony of Peron and Evita), the Palace of the City Government, banks and ministries.
Since 1890, when the first political mass rally was held (when the Civic Union, a political party that later gave rise to the current Radical Civic Union was founded), it has become the scene of major social events and, since 1977 , the meeting place of the Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo, who claim their missing children during the last military process.
It is the newest neighborhood in the city of Buenos Aires and the latest architectural trend. Located in a coastal strip where old docks (huge sheds where cargo brought by the ships coming into port was stored in the past) that were recycled to give life to elegant offices and luxurious restaurants are erected. The project, which was developed in 1991, was devised in order to integrate the port to the city, as an extension of its center.
This palace, seat of the national government, occupies the land where the Fort of Buenos Aires was erected in 1580. It was the residence of Spanish viceroys and then housed with very few reforms, the authorities of patriotic successive governments. He spent a while to oblivion but regained political prominence as the seat of government since 1862, when Bartolomé Mitre settled there with his ministers, refurbishing the former official residence of the fort. His successor, Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, decided to beautify the headquarters of the Executive, providing it with gardens and painting the fronts pink, a characteristic that he named Casa Rosada.